Old April 15th 10, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

Default Tail Catcher

Karen C - Calif ) writes:
Ruby wrote:
my problem has always been that I tend to cut more floss than I need for
a particular area so tend to be floss wasteful.

Rough figures, you will get one inch of completed Xs from 5" of floss.
So if you're working on 14-count fabric, you'll need 5" of stitchable
length for 14 stitches, 10" for 28 stitches, 20" for 56 stitches. Add
on your own fudge factor for starting and ending (since some of us start
with a scant 1/4" caught under the current stitching and others waste 4"
on an away waste knot).

Obviously, that's 5" of floss for an inch of stitches all in one block.
If you're doing onesie-twosies scattered over 10 square inches of
fabric, that's a whole 'nother calculation.

--
Karen C - California

Putting this another way, you can get approximately 1800 stitches from an
8 meter skein of floss at 14 and 16 stitches to the inch. You will get
more if stitches are close together in the pattern, and less if they are
widely scattered. Jim.