Old February 22nd 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
lemel_man

Default Gage sizes of silver and copper wire

Ted Frater wrote:
...snip

as to getting a wire or sheet thickness gauge, you best bet is to get a
vernier gauge, this can be either a non digital or digital one.
Used by most engineering folk to take simple measurements of all sorts
of things, from wire sheet rounds etc.
Usually from zero up to 6 in , in either metric or imperial in 100ths
of a mm or 1000 of an inch. Will do all youll ever need.
A cheap chinese will do you just fine.
No need for a fancy Mitutoyo or similar.
Most engineering suppy places stock them. Dont buy till you try tho.

I'll second that. I never use "standard" wire gauges, there are just too
many different ones. There is no confusion when you use proper values
like inches or millimetres.

The "good" thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

--
Regards, Gary Wooding