Old March 10th 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
C0nnie

Default Buying a prop-ox torch setup

On Mar 9, 7:29 pm, mbstevens wrote:
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:10:08 +0000, C0nnie wrote:

I had one of those little mapp/oxy systems and still own the regulator.
They only cast very small amounts of metal. The oxygen did run out
faster. I usually cast at least a three ounces of metal at a time, and it
it wouldn't even handle that much.

So does that mean that MAPP/oxy is more disproportionate than propane,
or does oxygen usually run out faster on all gas-oxygen systems?

Oxy tanks are usually a bit larger and under much higher pressure when
delivered -- around 2000 psi. Propane can be delivered as a pressurized
liquid, making it easier to package more of it in smaller containers.

All my research is leaning me more and more toward getting the whole
Smith Little torch

They are just great. I use mine with oxy/acetylene for casting, fusing,
and even firing an occasional small enamel from a distance.

As for Smith Little Torch:
In your regulator you run fuel and oxygen at about the same pressure,
if you are using a neutral flame. Larger heating tips use more fuel.

For soldering, annealing, and firing enamels I usually use a European
propane torch that comes with an extra hose to blow through; this extra
air adds a bit of extra heat and shapes the flame. If you are not
casting, you might want to just start with one of those from Contenti.
They are really very flexible, and you might never have to bother with
oxygen. Just pick up your propane refills when you go to the supermarket.

Aha.

Well I hit the mother lode today that corresponds with all of your
advice. Went to visit my fave goldsmith and he showed me his Meco
Midget and why he likes it (bigger output/ more versatile than Smith
Little).

Then went to the local welders supply and coincidentally the Smith rep
was there. I told him about the Midget and he showed me the Smith
Quickbraze. (see http://www.smithequipment.com/produc...z/quickbrz.htm
) What a nice lil gadget with kevlar covering the hoses.

Bigger than the Little torch, but still quite petite.

Comes with 4 tips, one is a dual flame, looks like a horseshoe, one is
the typical small aperture of jewelers, one is a rosette. One tip is
on a long copper tube extending it beyond or between something
awkward- this is for heating and ac guys.

Still, the setup meets and exceeds all my needs for years to come. I
plan to get it Monday. With the oxygen regulator H1940G-540 and a
single-stage propane regulator, it will total out to about $360.