Old March 8th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
C0nnie

Default Buying a prop-ox torch setup

On Mar 7, 6:49 am, mbstevens wrote:
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 03:15:22 +0000, C0nnie wrote:
My space is friendly but not big. A former screened porch now closed
and comfortably insulated, but more ventilated than the indoors. No
space for large tanks so I want the disposable size propane and
oxygen.

I see mapp/oxygen setups in disposable size, but do not recommend them.
Even for small work, you will find yourself running out of gas at
inconvenient times.

For propane, I recommend the size tank that you can trade out at the
supermarket. The local welding supplier can deliver oxygen tanks.
80 Cu. Ft. or so is a reasonable size. Since they stand, they are really
not going to take up _that_ much more room.

I have the Rio catalog and I see the Smith Little Torch a la carte

Those are very good.

and
set stuff. All I need is the whole setup (haha) (not a holder, don't
think I need a gauge, just regulator)

You might want to get the propane hose, too; they are not always easy to
find locally, and acetylene hoses are not for propane.

and am on a budget but not to
the detriment of what is reasonable.

Contenti has a torch setup that could work with Prop-ox-- I heard this
second-hand from someone. My question is, what is/are good source(s)
for a new torch and what to avoid?

I've been very happy with a propane torch with blowpipe I got from them.
With oxypropane, be sure the tips are small enough for your smallest work.

My husband is very handy and will build a simple strapping device for
the tanks. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Make it sturdy. You do not want a tank with a regulator on it to fall
over. Old welders have horror stories.
--
mbstevenshttp://www.mbstevens.com/

mbpstevens,
Thank you for your specific advice. I will re-think the size of
propane tank. We already trade out 2 big propane tanks, one for the
barbecue and one for a propane heater.

Contenti seems to be a good economy supplier. I will also consider
getting the holder for the whole system.
Is there such a thing as a regulator w/o a gauge? Maybe a gauge is a
good thing.

I'm considering getting Rio's video DVD all about soldering. It says
it's 90 mins and goes thru selection of equipment, safety tips and
setup of the soldering area. In it, a box ring is fabricated.
Connie