Old March 7th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
C0nnie

Default Buying a prop-ox torch setup

Hi all.

This is probably my first post here. I recognize a few names here from
elsewhere. I have a question that many of you know at least some
answers to.

I am ready to buy a torch, hotter than my butane one at home. I have
had the opportunity to solder at the Crucible in Oakland CA where I
just finished a general Intro to Jewelry course. They had propane-
oxygen and it worked well. I don't need more heat than that for a long
time.

I plan to use it for annealing, butt-joints, sweat-soldering Argentium
and other (copper?), granulation of Argentium, fine silver, gold, and
other similar soldering, fusing and working operations.

I am now a chainmailler but that skill is just a backbone to the rest
of the metal arts I am learning and plan to use. So that means some
small work fusing or soldering Argentium jump rings. I use a lot of
Arg.

My space is friendly but not big. A former screened porchnow closed
and comfortably insulated, but more ventilated than the indoors. No
space for large tanks so I want the disposable size propane and
oxygen.

I have the Rio catalog and I see the Smith Little Torch a la carte and
set stuff. All I need is the whole setup (haha) (not a holder, don't
think I need a gauge, just regulator) and am on a budget but not to
the detriment of what is reasonable.

Contenti has a torch setup that could work with Prop-ox-- I heard this
second-hand from someone. My question is, what is/are good source(s)
for a new torch and what to avoid?

My husband is very handy and will build a simple strapping device for
the tanks. Thanks in advance for all replies.