Old July 14th 03, 07:54 PM
WoodenSpools

I prewash all of my fabric the moment it comes in the door and I do prewash
my Hobbs 80/20 cotton batting, too - but I do find that the quilt shrinks
even more with the first washing. Nice 'n crinkled.
Prewashing fabric is a technique called "hiding the new purchases".......I
toss the fabric immediately in the washer and add clothes to wash - DH never
sees what I've bought. :-)
I really needn't hide it all, but it's sortof a game we play. If I mention
I bought $10 worth of stuff at the quilt shop then he mock-jumps up and says
he needs to order $110 worth of race car parts. He reasons that's fair.
Buckeye Bev
"Julia in MN" wrote in message
I prewash all my fabric, but not batting, before I use it. I also wash
all my quilts after binding. I often use Crayola washable markers for
marking, so I need to wash to remove the markings. I also want to wash
out any oil that my hands left on the quilt or other soiling that may
have occurred while I was working on the quilt. I would hesitate to
wash before binding before binding unless the edges are securely
finished with a zigzag or serger. I wash in the machine with regular
detergent and dry in the dryer.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/