Old December 15th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

Default art or craft

How about when your glass art is lumped in with Garden Art!!!! as in
artigras for one, and there's another i can't recall just now! i refuse to
even apply as i feel my work is demeaned! The craft is the technique, as
far as i'm concerned, the art is the design and execution of the work. Any
idiot like brady can craft the piece and/or teach some yahoos to do the work
but designing originals and creating them with flawless workmanship is
harder to stumble upon. That is the art. m

wrote in message

Sounds like you kinda agree with Steve, and I do like your outlook
on it. We learn and practice our craft, so we can produce our art,
so long as we step it up from reproducing pre-drawn patterns.

Kind of a neat and succinct definition.

As far as glass crafts being lumped into the craft tents at art
shows and exhibits, I'd dare say it's more of a practical
organizational decision on behalf of the oranizers. Most of the glass
booths at the exhibit that originally brought this topic up, were
trying to sell suncatchers and trinkets buy the dozens. There wasn't
one booth where I didn't recognize patterns released by Spectrum and
other popular pattern publishers. Of the 6 or so booths, there was
only one, in my opinion, that actually had original art on display,
for display's sake, and at that, she too was peddling the popular
trinkets and such.

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 09:45:53 +1000, "Elaine Coggins"
wrote:

(Art, Artist ... one who practises fine art, especially painting ; one
who
makes his craft fine art

I call myself an artist / craftperson, I do painting, sculpture, pottery,
and other works of art/craft, but they are one off items
so fine art.
But yes I get very annoyed when my art gets lumbered in just as craft, and
not as art.
You see I believe it is the art of the craftperson, for we all have to
know
our craft.

Elaine.