Old August 6th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
test

Default what kiln to buy?

dkat wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:26 pm, test wrote:
I'm just starting out with making pottery and would like to get a kiln
for my home studio. I have no idea how to evaluate the various types and
brands before making a purchase. Can anyone offer guidelines or suggestions?

Thanks.
Karen

I have an L&L E28S. It has about the same cubic inches as a E23T but
is much easier to load than the taller and more narrow kilns and I can
get in very wide platters. This kiln is very easy to program and the
elements are protected more than other kilns. I really like my kiln.
It's rating is to cone 10 but you should fire below that. I fire cone
6 - cone 8 would be fine. Do a search because prices vary
considerably. This is not a minor expense so know what you are
looking for and what wiring you will need. Call the companies and
talk to them. They are all very friendly and have useful
information. Carefully follow the instructions - yes you really do
need to fire it the first time empty (for example). Good luck!

Donna

Thank you for the reply. I'm registered for some classes this fall and
hope to learn a bit more before making the final decision but you've
given me something to start checking on.

Karen