Old April 15th 04, 11:53 AM
Moonraker

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
Hi All

Fresh from my success with the big (to me!) stained glass window ...
- the new project requires me to cut a hole out of a piece of 'art'
glass.

The hole needs to be circular - and in the region of 1" to 2.5"
diameter...

I have the Morton hole-cutter attachment - and have become reasonably
good at cutting circular pieces of glass with it - but in this case i
want to end up with the 'negative' of this .

I can make the circular score - no problem. It's geting the piece of
scrap glass out of the middle of the hole without losing/cracking the
main piece that's causing me problems.

Anybody prepared to share their special tips, please ?
(And, no, I don't expect it to be as easy as in the movies! g)

Thanks in advance
Adrian
Suffolk UK

One possibility would be to use a Taurus bandsaw with a sectional blade.
You'd have to drill a small starter hole in your work piece to thread the
blade through, and then you could saw the circle.

Also, you could drill a hole in the work piece that would be big enough to
get a small grinder bit started, and just use your tabletop grinder to grind
out the hole from the inside, increasing the bit diameter as you go.

If you have sandblasting capabilities, you could just mask off everything
BUT the circle you want cut out (on both sides of your work piece) and blast
the hole into the glass,