Old December 15th 05, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Default Rhodium Plating to improve setting

Hello all,

Here's another crazy question. I just talked to a jeweler who tells me
a solid 14k gold ring has some rhodium plating at the diamond area to
improve upon the setting strength. In other words, he says the rhodium
helps keep the diamonds secure.

This is a mens channel set diamond ring.

I've never heard of rhodium being used to strengthen a setting. Because
rhodium wears away in time, wouldn't the setting be compromised?

Am I a naive rookie and is this common or is someone telling me
something funny?