Old October 12th 05, 12:20 PM
Nann Hilyard

I don't know how I managed without a design wall!

I have a piece of W&N -- full width x wall height -- tacked to the wall.
Works just fine.

Nann

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
. ..
I've been using my new design walls for a number of months now, so I

figured
it's time for a report.

For those who don't know / remember, when we moved into our new house in
January I got my own sewing room and I decided it was time for some real
design space. Since DH keeps making noises about how he wants to make
another quilt, I knew I needed moveable design walls to keep him from
hogging all my space. (It's mine! All mine! Bwa ha ha ha!!! *grin*) I
settled on the foam insulation board available in 4' x 8' sheets at the

home
centers, covered with Hobbs 80/20 batting. (Hey, Ragmop, where's that made
again?) I can pin into the boards if needed, but fabric stays up pretty
darned good just slapped onto the batting.

I bought six of the boards, but due to a bad knee injury, I've only been
able to get three covered with batting. Two are along one wall and the

third
is on the adjacent wall, behind my ironing board. This gives me 12' x 8'

of
space to work with.

Boy, has this been a joy! I'm actually sticking with projects and getting
them FINISHED! My theory is that when I have all those pieces up on the
design wall, it's easier to work on that project than it is to take them

all
down and put up another project. And because I can see how things are
looking, I'm much happier with my projects, probably because I can make
design changes early in the process because I can see when things are

going
wrong. And because the design wall is about three steps from my fabric
stash, it's very easy to audition fabrics for those changes.

Another factor in getting more projects finished is that because I can

leave
everything up on the design wall, it's easy to sew for 5 minutes before
work. At the old house, where my sewing and stash was crammed into a small
space, it took 5 minutes just to unearth my project. Now I can grab a

piece,
sew it, and slap it back up all before DH has found his shoes. Those five
minutes add up fast. Life is good.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps