Old September 3rd 03, 10:57 AM
Kate Dicey

bogus address wrote:

I was thinking: why don't you get hold of a bit of calico (muslin?)
and do a practice placket? I won't argue with you: they *are* hard
to do, especially the first time.

Let not the creaking of shoes nor the rustling of
silks betray thy poor heart to woman: keep thy foot
out of brothels, thy hand out of plackets, thy pen
from lenders' books, and defy the foul fiend.

- Edgar in _King Lear_, Act III, scene iv

I take it he isn't talking about plackets in sleeves...

There is also a 17th century song "Joan's Placket is Torn" (goes
to a tune much like "The Cock of the North" a.k.a. "Auntie Mary Hid
a Canary Up the Leg of her Drawers") and I think we can assume the
placket that met with said mishap was in a different place too.

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

I've always wanted to know how the rest of that canary song went...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk