Old February 11th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
charlie

Default Cutting rough glass

"Lauri Levanto" wrote in message
M wrote:
I have a good few lumps of old broken glass some up to about 3" thick and
would like to cut thin sections out but not sure if or how it can be
done.
If it can would it be expensive and what percentage woulod be wasted
roughly. Who if anyone does that type of work. What thickness would be
the
best to aim for.
It is pieces of a broken lighthouse fresnel lens which we would like in
slivers/sections so that a picture of the lighthouse could be etched onto
them.
Sorry there are som amny questions but hopefully someone may have the
answers.

Thanks Mick

Do I understand right that you want to cut the curved fresnell pieces
radially, to get say ½" slices withthe three polished sides intact.
Interesting job.
How thick are the fresnedd segments. A tile saw may reach 1½"deep
lapidary saws a little deeper. Large blades are thick to prevent
vibration.
What you need is to get together
1. A glass artist with that kind of experience of cold working
with wet belt sanders and plishing planes.
2. A gravestone maker with proper saws.
The etching then is easily found.

-lauri

a normal 10" tile saw will cut these ok. you can cut up to about 4" thick.
it won't be polished, which will take normal glass polishing techniques.
someone with a flat lap or vibrolap could do that.