Old June 10th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Other newbie questions :)

Tracey wrote:

snip

Third question. Right now, I have two scroll frames. The exact
dimensions, I forget, but the smaller one holds the fabric for a
project that fits an 8X10 frame just perfectly, no scrolling
required. The other is bigger and will hold the fabric for a project
that fits in an 11X14 frame but scrolling is required. I have a
little nest configured on my couch for when I'm doing a project. It's
a wraparound couch, so I have plenty of pillows to support my body
and even a couple of pillows to support my left arm (the one I use to
hold the frame.) While I probably won't invest in any expensive
free-standing frames until I find out if this is one of my 'here
today, gone in six months' hobbies, is there any other type of frame
that is recommended? I've seen lap frames, I guess you would call
them, advertised for 30-40 dollars but can't really see how they're
'lap frames' with straight bars across the bottom. Seems they would
hurt. :P

TIA Tracey

I can certainly agree with your opinion of how most lap stands appear. I
felt the same a couple of years ago when I went looking for one to help
me stitch a huge x-stitch project. I searched a lot on line and finally
found one by American Dream Products (NAYY) that doesn't have something
you sit on (this was something I refused to involve myself with!) If you
go to http://www.adp-usa.com/products.htm#Lap%20Frames and scroll down
to the Tomorrow's Treasures Lap stand, you will see what I found. I
love it and use it for about half of my projects. It sits on either
side of me, (or if it's too wide for my chair, on the arms of the chair)
and is fairly light weight to move aside. I found mine on eBay and it
came with several scrolls. I, like Tegan, have learned to stitch
2-handed and it saves me a lot of time. One day I think I would
still like a free-standing floor stand, but not for a while...besides my
birdie would probably think it was a perch!

Addie