Old June 9th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Other newbie questions :)

Tracey wrote:

Third question. Right now, I have two scroll frames. The exact
dimensions, I forget, but the smaller one holds the fabric for
a project that fits an 8X10 frame just perfectly, no scrolling
required. The other is bigger and will hold the fabric for a
project that fits in an 11X14 frame but scrolling is required.
I have a little nest configured on my couch for when I'm doing
a project. It's a wraparound couch, so I have plenty of pillows
to support my body and even a couple of pillows to support my
left arm (the one I use to hold the frame.) While I probably
won't invest in any expensive free-standing frames until I find
out if this is one of my 'here today, gone in six months' hobbies,
is there any other type of frame that is recommended? I've seen
lap frames, I guess you would call them, advertised for 30-40
dollars but can't really see how they're 'lap frames' with
straight bars across the bottom. Seems they would hurt. :P

TIA
Tracey

I can't say anything about lap frames, as I've thought the same as you
(plus, one must first HAVE a lap and I'm a bit too "fluffy"). I think
you have things under control as far as frames go. You might want to
check out Q-snaps for any smaller projects you might have or want to
do. They are much lighter in weight than any scrolls I've owned so far.
And if you get positioned just right with them, you can stitch
two-handed with them, as well. And thats about the neatest thing I've
learned to do, btw. I'm right handed, so my right hand stays under the
fabric and my left hand stays above. I can visually guide my "stupid"
left hand and the right hand just seems to "know" where it needs to go.
Plus, with good light, you can sorta see through the fabric to have a
fair idea where that right hand needs to be, anyway.

Btw, I had to chuckle at your Lynyrd Skynyrd quote! I'm terribly
excited about finally getting to see them in concert later on this
month. I know it's not quite the same, but it's still gonna be fun!

Keep stitching!
Tegan