Old October 7th 03, 03:23 PM
Lynne Van

Thanks, Patti.

Cheers,

lynne in Toronto

Patti wrote:

Hullo Lynne
I'm not an expert; but from what I have gathered over the years, this is
probably due to the fact that the appliqué stitches are too far apart.
They should really be very, very close, if the quilt is going to have
any sort of wear at all - ie not just a wall hanging.
.
In article , Lynne Van
writes

I need your advice...or at least my sister does.

DS made a wonderful quilt involving both piecing and appliqué.
Each block had certain of the elements pieced together, then a
few little appliqué bits were added to the pieced block. It's a
lovely quilt, one of her best so far. She sent it out to be
machine basted (first time she's tried that) and when it came
back she found that the machine needling had dislodged some of
the needle-turned edges.

Then, when she puts it into he q-snap frame for hand-quilting,
she finds that stretching further dislodges more of the
appliqués. The silk thread holds, but the edges pop up. So she
has to repair many of the appliqués as she goes.

She wonders how else she might have done this, to avoid these
problems.

Any hints??

Thanks,

Lynne in Toronto