Old December 18th 08, 08:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

Default 'Serious' soldering iron - recommendations please ?

Hi

Chemo the Clown wrote:
On Dec 17, 10:38 am, Adrian wrote:
Chemo the Clown wrote:
On Dec 17, 4:13 am, Adrian wrote:
HI Folks
My usual weapon of choice is a temperature-controlled Weller 100W iron -
which works very well for tiffany-style suncatchers, tealights and so on.
Recently, I've been getting more commissions for copper-foil-based
window / door panels - with correspondingly longer seams to be soldered.
The Weller iron doesn't seem to be quite 'meaty' enough for these larger
panels - I'm not after 'turbo-soldering' performance g - but it'd be
nice to know that there was sufficient heat there to be able to run a
seam without having to pause for the iron to catch up.
So - what's your favourite iron for those slightly bigger jobs ?
I've no plans to diversify into leaded windows - but I guess it'd be
good if the 'serious' iron was capable of doing that as well, if need be.
One recommendation was for the Esico 150w iron and a Glastar controller
- but I'm open to any other suggestions.
I'm in Ireland - but I do have 110v 'plumbed in' to the Studio
Thanks in advance
Adrianwww.inspired-glass.com
Hexacon 175

Thanks for that - you use it with a controller, I guess ?

Adrian- Hide quoted text -

With copper foil work I run it full on. Don't let it sit around and
just idle. Not using it...turn it off.

Sounds sensible. I'd got the impression (from reading the online shops)
that you have to run a controller with these high-powered, non
temp-controlled irons - but maybe they just want to sell me a controller
as well as an iron !

As well as the Esico - there was another recommendation for a Hakko 60W
'Super Pro' iron. Apparently this iron uses a more efficient ceramic
element - hence the lower wattage - but, since I'm using a 100W Weller
at the moment and need 'more power'.. I'm sceptical...

Thanks for the comments

Adrian