Old April 13th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default Oils

SteveB wrote:
I dug my Singer 111W155 out yesterday, and am pressing it into service.
When reading the manual, it has several lubricants listed, most of which
would probably be hard to find. I haven't looked yet at the sewing machine
or fabric stores.

Is there a big difference between oils, say like Singer, 3 in 1, Lucas gun
oil, etc? I know there's a big difference in oil and grease.

Steve

Yes, HUGE! Never use 3 in 1 on a sewing machine: it gums it up! I
occasionally use 3 in 1 Professional High Performance lubricant with
PTFE for freeing up stuck bits on rescued machines, but you then have to
clean it all off and lubricate with sewing machine oil once you have it
moving. The only other lubricant to use is sewing machine motor
lubricant/grease, which you use in Fetherweight motors and for
lubricating gears in some machines.

Only use oils and grease designed for sewing machines to lubricate them,
and clean out any hardened wax-like fossilized gunk FIRST!
Lubricate the points mentioned in the owner's manual, or in the service
manual for that particular machine.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!