Old February 12th 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Anon

Default A Sewing Machine For The Workshop

Hi Wayne

If you like the machine; your 111w, do not try it on masonite. The sound of
hardened and polished steel snapping is not good.
and the spare parts (not counting the labour) will cost you more than the
cost of the machine. If you can get them.

The 132 can do masonite, but the stuff they use in cars and upholstery is
not flooring underlay. it is soft and flexible.

Cheers

John McNamara

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message
t...
SNIP

I got a nice Singer 111W155 walking foot model with stand and all for
$250 at a yard sale about a year ago. Going to use it soon for canvas
awning work. They work good on leather, too.

Steve

I picked up a 111w152 from a canvas shop (for boats) that was going out of
business. Machine (in GREAT shape), table, and a few feet for $200. One
nice thing about it was that the previous owner had "re-engined" the
machine with a more powerful motor and new clutch. I haven't tried going
through any masonite or anything like that, but I did try sewing eight
layers of heavy (30 oz) marine vinyl just to see what happened. To my
surprise, nothing unusual happened. Just sewed it all together like it
was just two layers. I already had a very healthy respect for the
machines capabilities, but it DID give me a little bit higher level of
respect for the machine though. If you were unfortunate enough or
careless enough to get your finger under that needle . . .

The only thing I would recommend though is if you can find it (and afford
it), get a machine with reverse. If you find a good deal on a machine
that does not have reverse, don't let that stop you from buying it. It
probably isn't all that much of a deal, but it seems like it would be
easier to "lock" stitches at the beginning and end. There are ways around
not having reverse, but having it would just make things a little bit
easier.

Wayne