Old February 11th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
SteveB[_3_]

Default A Sewing Machine For The Workshop

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

"Anon" wrote in message
HI

look for a Singer 111w or 112w (About 80 years old) there were tens of
thousands made.

I picked up an old Singer year 1921±. I told the seller (sewing machine
repair man that has dozens of commercial machines for sale) that I am
going to sew through 'door-skin' to make door panels for my auto
restoration. I didn't have any 'door-skin' to try it on and he didn't
have any leather. He found a 12" chunk of 1/4 inch thick Masonite. We
laid a piece of fabric on top of it and sewed through the pair with the
greatest of ease. No problem.

Ivan Vegvary

Looking up my 111W155 serial number in the Singer manual tells me mine was
made in 1957. They are a workhorse. Ultimate Sew and Vac have them for
$710 each, probably refurbished and tweaked. Comes with table, stand and
motor.

Consew makes a mongo unit that we used for our canvas awning business, but
IIRC, it was pretty spendy. I don't know. I did the welding for the
frames, and my partner did the canvas.

Going to make some of my own awnings for my house this spring. I still have
quite a few awnings hanging around Las Vegas from when I was a contractor.
They're very nice ........ if you don't have to pay retail. ;-)

Steve