Old September 26th 03, 09:31 AM
Sarah Grace

Irene wrote:
Hello All, my grandmother made these and did NOT machine quilt. She
sewed the wool batts into a muslin (old sheets) bag. These went
inside the pieced top and the solid backing. She put the whole thing
onto stretcher bars and ran a very open hand quilting pattern with #5
pearl cotton at the 6"-12" range of spacing.
I think you could tie instead if you want.

Sounds lovely- i fancy hand quilting but would have to evict my sister first in
order to get the space lol.

Thank you for your input Irene! It is most helpful

Regards
Sarah
Dry cleaning is the only way to keep the batts puffy. We always
used a duvet cover to keep these quilts as clean as possible. With
care this type of quilt will last as long as a really good down
comforter.---Irene