Old September 25th 03, 01:53 PM
SlinkyToy

Wool batting makes better quilt stuffing. It is mostly uniform across
its width, and the random alignment of the fibers helps prevent
settling you get with down comforters.

I have a wool-stuffed quilt my g'g'gramma made back in the stone age.
I take it to the laundromat once a year, and keep it in a duvet cover
when it use to TRY to keep cat hair and whatnot off of it. Best quilt
I own. Family lore and historical research says it is stuffed with
handcarded batts of wool that were made on special quilting cards
designed to produce large batts, which were overlapped on the backing,
tacked down, then the quilt top added and quilted on.

On 25 Sep 2003 12:13:53 GMT, ojunk (Sarah Grace)
wrote:

...in a quilt?

Ok i know this is not exactly yarn related but it does relate to wool...When i
lived in Italy i was loaned a non patchwork quilt that i was told was stuffed
with wool. Even though it was the thickness of a regular quilt (rather than a
duvet) it was very snuggly. I loved it and I have been toying with the
prospect of stuffing my patchwork quilt with wool as i know it would be warmer.

I know that you can get hold of wool batting but i know the maker of my quilt
must have used fleece- So how would i go about doing it with fleece? I imagine
i would have to use ticking to create a sort of cotton covered batting, and i
can see that to stop the wool migrating into a heap at the bottom edge i would
have to quilt it into compartments. But i cannot imagine how i would start,
and how to go about getting a nice and relatively flat end product. In my mind
i would use wool locks- something pretty felt resistant (so i could wash if
absolutely necessary) maybe Suffolk?

Your suggestions would be so appreciated.

Regards
Sarah
p.s. the mattress was also wool filled and (apparently) would be slit open
every 2 years in order to wash the wool...and the pillows- I can't even imagine
the amount of work not to mention drying the wool! Not planning on filling my
mattress lol