Old January 29th 04, 12:37 AM
Kate Dicey

Vilna wrote:

Hi everyone!

I bought an overlocker Elna 744 recently. It does all the stitches
beautifully but not the cover hem. If I'm lucky the left needle skips
stiches but normally the thread breaks. It's only the top left needle
that seems to have problems. I've tried everything the manual suggests
and I can think of - checked if the needle is inserted correctly,
checked and tried different thread tensions and stitch lenghts and of
course checked threading as well.

Has anyone experienced similar problems or give me suggestions what I
should do?

I'd be happy and grateful for your suggestions!

Vilna

First off, ALWAYS re-thread from the start when you change the stitch!
Loopers as well as needles! Pulling though works up to a point, but you
really ought to do it from scratch when you do a stitch change as so
many things change.

If you are already doing this, have you changed the needle? If it is
damaged, it may cause these problems. I never just swap a needle from
one place to another - give each one a new needle. And check that the
needle is all the way in and the right way round!

Then change the thread and try again - you may have a faulty thread. I
had thread breaking on me this afternoon: went through the whole
process, but it only went away when I changed the thread!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk