Old February 11th 04, 07:37 AM
Christina Peterson

Here's jewelry offerred by a beadmaker.
http://www.blackberrybeads.com/Finis...Necklaces.html
Considering the prices for these items, I guess I should be charging $250
for wholesale.

I'm not picking on anyone. I'm just trying to get a feel for this.

Tina

"KDK" wrote in message
Nope. I had marked your other post as unread so I could reply to it. I
totally agree that what I'm going to do with the bead(s) plays a part in

how
much I feel I can pay. I'll pay more for a bead for me than one that I'm
going to put into a piece to try and sell.

I also look at the size of the sets - I tend to not use an entire set in

any
piece I make. So I may see a large set that I love, but can't see being
able to make enough pieces out of it (repetition gets old for me) so I may
not buy or bid.

And I'm watching this thread here and at WC since I'm just getting started
selling finished pieces and hopefully, when I think my beads are ready, to
sell beads also.

Kathy K

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
Am I the only person who works with lampwork beads who faces this

problem?

Tina

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
One really big thing about pricing beads is how they will be used.

If I'm only going to buy beads for myself, as an end product, then

paying
retail is a reasonable thing for me to to for those few beads. But if

I'm
going to put them in jewelry to sell I have to work it differently.

Take the cottage rose flowers and bunny sets for $200. What could a
necklace of those beads be sold for? According to most formulas, I

should
double the price of my materials and add in my time at $40 per hour

(for
the
amount of time a fast professional would take to make it), to come up

with
wholesale and double that for a retail price. So theoretically, it

should
sell for At the very very least $900. More if it is especially well
designed.

OK then do it backwards. If a necklace of those beads could be sold

for
$500, and I am selling my skills as an artist, not as a retailer, I

would
only get $250 wholesale, which would barely cover my costs to make the
necklace and get it to the gallery.

Now, I don't think THAT is reasonable.

I'm finding that when I make jewelry from a set of lampwork, my mark

up
on
materials is very small, and I can't make more than a profit of $20 or

$30
on a necklace that will sell at the gallery for $150 to $200.

Tina

"meijhana" wrote in message
I was impressed by this, and wanted to share!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...73#post2015373

I think we should adopt it as jewelry designers, too (and that means

you,
too, Harry, both as a jewelry designer and as a supplies crafter).

Too
many
times do we hear "I just want to get my money back", and with this,

think
we can start to educate others, both as buyer and as fellow seller.

Mary

--
Mr. Winky says "Glass shards are beautiful, but they can be

painful." --
www.shardsoglass.com
MeijhanaDesigns - Unique Earrings and More!
http://www.meijhanadesigns.com
mary at meijhanadesigns dot com

HandcraftedJewelry.com
http://snipurl.com/45w5