Old May 20th 12, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Nyssa

Default materials for knitting socks

talenknot wrote:

I wanted to start a knitting project and knit socks for my
entire family, but I'm a bit new when it comes to yarn (most of
my projects have mainly been in sewing :P). I've shopped around
at both offline and online sites 'such as these'
(http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn-lion.html), and found
that yarn comes in a variety of different materials (cotton,
wool, and even alpaca). What would be the best type of material
for knitting socks? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to what's left of the newsgroup. :/

Usually a wool-nylon blend yarn is best for socks because of its
warmth and wearing ability, but since some people can't wear wool,
there are also acrylic and cotton yarns suitable for making socks.

The weight of the yarn will depend on the pattern and what type
of sock you want. Most are done in a fingering weight (sometimes
labeled "sock yarn") or sport weight yarn. I've made socks with
Aran weight yarn (heavy worsted weight), but those were supposed
to be heavy kilt hose meant for really cold weather.

There are tons of possibilities out there including sock yarn that's
been space-dyed so it's self-striping. Probably the best bet would
be to find a simple sock design and pattern you like, then see
what type of yarn and weight it recommends. Once you've got a few
pairs of socks started and finished, you'll get a better feel for
what works for you and what you and your family like for future
projects.

Be sure to check around the web for sites that offer step-by-step
photos and instructions in knitting your first sock. That or a
very good sock knitting book with lots of illustrations are invaluable
for walking you through the mysteries of that first sock, turning
a heel, and the Kitchener stitch for finishing the toe.

Good luck!

Nyssa, who has a ton of sock yarn in her stash but is presently hooked
on doing knitted lace stuff instead