Old September 17th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

Default Swaps

I hosted a swap for "candy jar" fabrics not too long ago. I want to make (it's still not done...
but on the TO DO list... The problem is ... you need a wide variety of specialized fabrics (candy
type) but only SMALL pieces of each one. Even less than a fat quarter! So by doing a swap -- I got
15 - 20 people who each found ONE candy fabric... cut it up in to squares (I think they were 8
inches by 10 inches) and they all mailed them to me. Then I dealt them out like cards... and we
still all paid only for " 1 yard" -- but that one year was comprised of 15 - 20 different fabrics!

That is a "centralized" swap -- where everybody sends their stuff to one person who shuffles it up
and returns it to the participants. Each person sends a preaddressed - -prepostaged return
envelope. That way the hostess isn't out any additional cost -- only her time. I frequently --
generous swappers include a nice little thank you gift for taking the time and trouble to coordinate
the swap.

Does that make sense? I've never done a swap that wasn't "centralized". And I'm actually thinking
of doing another one soon... this one for "BUG JAR" fabrics.!!! I will if there is at least a dozen
people who would want to participate. Another one I want to do is "bird seed" fabrics -- anything
that looks like it could be bird seed -- that one may be harder to come up with fabrics... I need to
do a little homework to see how many different fabrics like that there are out there.

Anyhow -- that's what a swap is like!

Kate in MI

"biz_e_momma" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, all!

I've been lurking for a while and have really enjoyed all that I've
learned from you guys.

My questions are about swaps. I've never participated in one and don't
know how they work or how to find one. What are some of the swaps you
guys participate in? How does the block of the month swap work and how
do I sign up?

Thanks!

Erika in Texas