Old July 4th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default OT [very] My Hometown is on Fire

Hopefully weather will cooperate and they can keep loss to a minimum.
I am so sorry.
Before the fires hit in '03 so bad I know lots of folks in the San
Bernardino mountain communities had storage units 'down the hill'
where they stored possessions during fire season to keep it safe.
Kind of an awful way to live.
Hugs, Taria

Ginger in CA wrote:
A couple of days ago someone started a fire on the hills, possibly
illegal fireworks, just near the gun club my dad built, and where I
learned so much about life and myself [besides learning to be a crack
shot]. The fire is now over 5000 acres and is heading into Goleta, a
town near Santa Barbara [central coast Calif]. There has been
structure loss and massive mandatory evacuations. Eighteen years ago
there was a fire that marched from the top of the mountain down to the
ocean in less than 3 hours, destroying most everything in its path,

The Gap Fire, as it is called, started in windy Gap area of the hills.
It is considered the #1 priority fire in state of Calif right now as I
type. That is saying something, seeing how many fires are going right
now.

How am I affected, 40 miles away? The smoke in the air here is
unhealthy, the uncertainty of who of my friends will be evacuated
next. My friend was evacuated last night. He got two carloads out and
wanted to go back in but cannot.

On this day of celebration please hug your loved ones, and be careful
with fireworks and celebrations.

Ginger in CA