Old June 29th 05, 07:22 AM
Sally Holmes

Cindy wrote:

What is 'barkcloth'? I have seen this on several websites where I am
searching for material for my SO's shirt. He loves the Hawaiian
prints.

Cotton barkcloth he http://www.hawaiianfabric.com/content/barkcloth.cfm ,
where it says "It's termed "Barkcloth" because this fabric has a texture
similar to, but much less pronounced than the bark of a tree. Made of 100%
cotton, it has a very rich look and feel! It's also a very versatile
fabric....you can create everything from stylish shirts, shorts, and
dresses...to custom curtains, pillow cases, and upholstery for your favorite
chair or sofa. Barkcloth is thicker, more substantial than a standard cotton
or poly/cotton fabric. Also known as "Dobby"...it is extremely durable, and
long lasting."

It's not what I think of as dobby, which is a small repeated woven motif on
a plain woven background.

There are lots of other Hawaiian fabrics on the same site. I've never
ordered from them but I've heard they're good.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England