Old May 28th 16, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nyssa[_2_]

Default Looking for tips, tricks, and warnings on beads

Danny Breidenbach wrote:

I've been working on TW's Celestial Dragon, and I'm not
too far from the beading stage. I've never worked with
beads, so I'm looking for input.

1. I assume it's best to do these last. Correct?

2. Should I wash and press the piece before beading? I
can't imagine pressing after adding beads.

3. What do I need to prepare for as far as doing the
actual work? I'm accustomed to holding the piece in my
hand (I use Q-Snaps) for stitching. I'll need to work at a
table for the beads, won't I? Can this be done with the
fabric loose (no hoop or frame)?

4. What gauge needle do you recommend?

5. What am I forgetting to ask about? :-)

(I remember the olden days of the Usenet-based RCTN when a
message like this would release a torrent of responses and
maybe even set off a mini-flame war or something.)

--Danny

You can wash and press after beading if you're careful not
to press down too hard with the iron AND place a terrycloth
towel or other thick padding under the work when ironing.
Also iron from the back of the piece so that the beads are
resting in the padded surface.

I've done both beading after all stitching is complete on
smaller pieces and adding beading as I finish stitching
each section. It's more a matter of personal taste than
a gotta-do-it-this-way kind of thing.

On the REALLY large pieces like the Wentzlers or Mirabilias
I'll mount the fabric on scroll bars then as I roll up
the beaded sections use a small terrycloth facecloth or
small hand towel to pad the beading from being crushed as
the scroll bars are tightened. With QSnaps that won't be
an option, so you might have to switch over to scrolls if
the piece being worked is a large one.

As for needles, I found a brand and size that works very
well for both regular stitching and getting through the
small beads so I don't have to switch out needles back
and forth when I'm working. They are John James Tapestry
Pointed Short Beading Needles Size 10. They should be
available online somewhere like Nordic Needle. I bought
mine in packs of 25, so I'm set for awhile.

Nyssa
At River's End