Old December 21st 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

Default Cromartie Hobby 20 kiln control switch

Let's get the most obvious one out of the way - are you using the small size
cone? This is the size that is used for a cone sitter for our kilns (US).
The larger ones will not bend when needed. It is unlikely you are making
this mistake but one has to ask. You should also be using the large cones
on your shelf to double check what temperature the kiln is reaching in
different locations. You can either get wires to hold these up, get self
supporting ones (more expensive) or simply mold a clay base. Easy to do -
ask if you don't know how. I know Marianne has said that cones are not used
in Europe to monitor heat work but from what I can see of your kiln, since
it appears entirely manual other that the shutoff switch. You really have
to know what temperature your kiln is firing to and eliminate that as an
issue. I don't know what a .3 cone is. I only know of cones going from 022
to 12. 022 being the lowest temperature (heat work actually) and 12 being
the highest. What temperature are you trying to fire to? If your .3 is
our 03 then you should have certainly reached 1086C in 17 hours - What did
your items sound like when they came out? Had the clay vitrified? What
color was it? Knowing more from you would help. Donna

"Peter Holt" wrote in message
I have been given a Cromartie hobby 20 kiln and i have a problem that I
think is with the control switch. Can anyone help?
When I have fired the kiln with a 0.3 Orton cone the cone has not
distorted enough to turn the kiln off, even after 27 hours. When using
the 0.5 cone it has switched itself off on the two occasions that I have
tried it.
I have taken the control switch out and can see that it has an adjustment
knob on it. Can anyone suggest how this works ie which way should it be
turned and how far. It may just be a case of trial and error but any
advice would be appreciated. I am reluctant to buy a new switch as I am
not entirely sure that it is the switch that is the problem.
You may have gathered that I am completely new to pottery and this is very
much a trial and error project for me. Thanks for any help that can be
offered.