Old June 8th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default where are my helpers??

wrote:
i'm on a quest for a sal ammoniac block here...this is something that
should
be easily available...my electronics guy in town should have one,
right?

I'm a chemist (the chemistry kind, not the pharmacy kind) in another
life. Sal ammoniac is basically an archaic way to say Ammonium Chloride
(NH4Cl). I've even heard it called more generically "ammonia salt".

The word "sal ammoniac" actually means "salt of Ammon". Ammon (or Amun)
is the Egyptian deity. There might be a similar word in Turkish?

If you try to buy plain ammonium chloride, you'll probably get a powder.
I think a sal ammoniac block is mined from a salt deposit, but it's
possible that they could be manufactured from powder.. I have no clue.

I've never seen a sal ammoniac block working with electronics. Their tip
cleaners are typically more liquid that they just dip the tip into. It's
probably flux with ammonium chloride added, but I've never found an
"ingredients list". I'd look in a hardware store before an electronics
supply if you really want a block. Sheet metal solderers use the blocks,
I hear.

Good luck in your quest!

-Ray