Old June 7th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default where are my helpers??

OK , but you have to read between the lines

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Javahut...
okay...scrap the Hex then...i can't deal with the weight.

look for a an iron with a ceramic heater, you are not doing production work
and do not need an indutrial iron, shop smart! Electronics store will work,
look for an tip shank diameter of 3/8", 10-12 mm. My 60 watt Hakko gets
that tip hot just fine, in 30 seconds , and is nice and light in hand
weight. Se what is similar with iron clad tip...

what's an analog? Not digital! Has a knob that you turn like any other

variac type resistance, translates to less expensive, but not in this case ,
eh?

and is it a lot lighter? will an 80 watt analog be
sufficient? in some cases, maybe not in others, depends on the

iron.

i'm using the 63/37 solder... nice stuff, a bit pricier than 60/40, but if
you have it, use it, may pationa differently due to alloy but it works well
here too. sometimes...depends what I am doing

please explain to me again what you mean with these directions for
'coating the tip'...

what do you mean when you say 'stay below the heater'???

Don't dip the heater portion of the iron in the flux, don't go that deep,
only the end of the tip , maybe 1"- 1 1/2" of the working end.

and what exactly am i supposed to 'roll in my hand'?? OUCH that's
hot!!! Man, do you need an instructor , the hand that is holding the

iron turns, rotates, so that the tip gets coated

i used the iron for less than 3 hours today and already the tip is
crapola... Describe "crapola"? You mean it got dirty? I should hope so,

that happens, drag the tip, hot, across a wet sponge, to rough for that,
grab your grozing pliers and litely rotate the tip while hanging on with the
pliers, lightly, and all the crude falls off, into, hopefully a bucket.

at this rate, i'll be filing it down every time i use it and so in less
than a month,
i'll need a new one. Why are you filing, does it get that dirty that

fast? either go to a less powerful iron or solder faster... the heat is
building up faster than you use it.

i'm on a quest for a sal ammoniac block here...this is something that
should
be easily available...my electronics guy in town should have one,
right? Salts of Ammonia, may come in a box of loose powder. if it does,

try to dissolve it in a small pan and leave it out to evaporate it will be a
block, hopefully in a couple of days, ( been years since I tried that,
results varied.)

oh wait, this IS turkey...heaven knows where this search will take me!!

please clarify your instructions...and thanks again.

That is as good as it gets......

Ar.

If you don't like the weight of that Iron, you won't like the Hexacon

any
more, they are the same weight, or similar at least. And as to expense,
they are now an import item to the country you are in, so there are
additional duties.

What are you using for flux? If you heat your iron, thoroughly coat it

with
flux, (yup if its liquid flux, dunk that sucker, stay below the heater,)
while it is HOT, then touch the solder to it liberally and roll it in

your
hand, and wipe on a wet sponge as you are working with it. Should coat

the
copper with solder. Do not dunk again, only wipe on water wet sponge to
clean. You have no protection against oxidation with that tip.