Old May 3rd 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default a 'dyeing' query

In article , YarnWright
wrote:

For you more experienced dye-ers.... would an alpaca silk blend yarn
'dye-up' EVENLY?
Here's the scoop, I'm going to need a black shawl, and I mean BLACK for an
important event this summer. As you know, my eyes can't take it, even
using a white ragg/towel, whatever on my lap, so... I'm thinking of dyeing
the shawl after I knit it up.
Whatcha think?
TIA,
Noreen

Hello Noreen

You should not have any problems at all, since both are protein fibers. I
do think though that getting a true black dye is not all that easy. I
would not use union dyes as e.g. Rit or Dylon etc. Those are combinations
of dyes so you can dye any kind of fiber. However that makes the dye a
weaker one. Use procion MS or Ciba Dyes, or the Gaywool dyes from
Australia. or the French dyes, Lanaset There are several good mail order
outfits that carry good dyes, that you can order from. Go by the
instructions that come with the dye and make the dye extra strength, to
get a good deep balck.

Pro Chemical is one of them, http://www.prochemical.com/

and Dharma Trading is another one http://www.dharmatrading.com/

Hope this is of help