Old June 27th 05, 07:13 PM
Sue W

Hi Yvonne, you found the right place! Lyscordet is a no.5 crochet cotton
which is thinner than 4 ply. Not easy to find a cheaper alternative in
standard knitting yarn :-( . A 3 ply cotton would probably work, but that's
not easy to find. A size 3 crochet cotton could be replaced by a 4 ply
knitting cotton pretty well, but obviously you would need to check your
tension.
I hope this helps.

Incidently, I recently completed a crochet top in Lyscordet using a 2mm hook
and it turned out very nicely.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...0263090vqeqOc#
--
Sue W in East Anglia, UK

"Yvonne" wrote in message
Hi everyone

Couldn't find a newsgroup specifically for knitting or crochet but this one
looks fun!

I'm based in the UK and am thinking about making a top using a pattern
that states you need 5 x 50g balls Twilleys Lyscordet. That seems to
be an expensive option. Just wondering what Lyscordet is comparable to
in the UK.... is it similar to double knit, 4 ply or something finer
than that.

Also wondering what size 3 fine (sport) weight cotton thread would be
similar to, in UK wool. I'm thinking of crocheting some bags for my
daughters. Would a 4 ply work instead of sport weight cotton, or would
it come out too big?

Please can someone help on either of the above two questions.

Many Thanks.

Yvonne