Old February 28th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Wonder Under vs. Heat & Bond vs. ???

I've always liked the WU better. I have had it refuse to detach, but just a
few times. If you really don't like to have the shredded edges, fuse all
your fabric first, then remove the release paper before cutting out. If you
have to draw a pattern, you can draw on the release paper, then iron
(drawing side down) to the fused side of the fabric. The design will
transfer to the fabric, and then you can cut out the design. Be sure to not
touch your iron to the exposed fusible on the fabric....use the release
paper as a pressing cloth!
I've had terrible luck with Seam a Seam 2. It leaves visible "bumps" on the
front...especially on light colored fabrics. I've tried another kind of
light fusible that Sue Nickels likes (darn! I can't think of the name!) and
it would NOT stay on the paper long enough to work with it. I have some of
Teri Austin's fusible that doesn't have the paper, but haven't tried it yet.
The instructions are intimidating.
As I collect the new books from the fusible "experts"...Laura Wasilowski,
Frieda Anderson, and Robbie Eklow....it seems they all prefer WU. I think
the issue with the gumming needle is important. And Laura and Frieda use
the method of fusing the fabric and drawing on the release paper. That
works the best if you're fusing small pieces.....like on postcards!!!!

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam" before mchsi

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
ups.com...
Let's start a debate! I always used H&B cuz WU has a nasty habit of
detaching off the paper and making me crazy- H&B stays nicely attached
to it's paper. WU is less tempermental with the iron's temperature-
H&B will refuse to cooperate without the perfect temperature. WU is
harder to remove the paper and shreds the edges of my appliques (I
REALLY hate that!)- H&B peels off nicely. H&B gums up the needle when
you sew thru it- WU doesn't mess up the needle. I don't like the
fusible web without paper attached. IS there a perfect fusible???
Does it cost less than an arm and a leg and can I find it in my small
town in an emergency? VBG

Leslie (still making those postcards!) & The Furbabies in MO.