Old February 18th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Default Rolling Mill

Kendall Davies wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a rolling mill. I want to use the mill to produce
texture and pattern on sheet and strip silver (and other metals). I'd also
want to use it to taper wire or at least begin/speed up the process of hand
forging.

I've read around the subject and looked at websites and catalogues but have
not had the luxury of actually getting my hands on one to get the feel of
the equipment in use.

I think this could be a really useful piece of equipment for me and I'm
willing to spend something between £500 and £1000 if I have to.

One of my dilemmas is how useful am I going to find a model with lots of
wire grooves? and will I need to build up more bits of equipment like draw
plates to get best use out of the mill.

So, in brief do I get a basic but solid, rugged rolling mill that will
handle the tasks of texturing and tapering well but not too much else, or do
I spend more and buy a machine with lots of grooves etc, etc.

All contributions to my decision making will be gratefully received, and
just in case it makes a difference to any responses, I'm in the UK.

Regards - Kendall

What you want to do needs 2 different types of mill.
to produce textured or patterned wire or strip needs a very strong
mill with interchangeable rolls with patterns thereon. these are
available from the tool suppliers in the Brmingham jewellery quarter.
there meant for serious production runs and youll need to sit down to
get the price.
Quite unsuitable for a one man band operation on account of roll cost.
Ive one of these and the basic mill cost 200 pounds 30 yrs ago in a
sale without the patterened rolls. I never used it on account of cost.
I went the other route, by making hand punches out of cold chisels
with lots of different designs on them, and hammering these into the
metal. Its fast, you can make an infinite variation of the design and
get a proper price for your time.
Made hundreds of these. Very popular.
the other mill is,as has been described a 2 roll mill part flat part
with grooves with an overhang opposite to the gear drive end..
this overhang takes wheels that will give you round and half round wire.
Now when you go to B'ham, youll see these mills made in italy and also
the UK. The Durston range are made in the Aylesbury area, I went to see
Mr. Durston and bought extra rolls from him. the maker. Nice guy, tho he
may have retired by now.
Ive used it extensively, and motorised it for long production runs.
It depends where your workshop is but DO keep a tin of WD 40 handy and
always spray the rolls after youve used them. If they get rust on them
it will mark the metal you roll. Difficult to remove but they can be
reground of course.
Now to go along with a mill you need a proper annealingtorch as after
several runs or reductions your metal will harden up .
you need a reducing large soft flame If you want details of this do
let us know and ill outline what I have done.
also youll need a long quenching tank and pickling tank, think what
you need to handle strip 1in wide and 3ft long, or wire 1/4in thick and
3ft long. you cant use a simple brazing bench torch for this.
working with metal on this scale is a differnt ball game to fiddling
around with small jewelly bits of wire and a piercing saw.