Old April 2nd 10, 01:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Default Question

Chilla wrote:

William Black wrote:
When you make your long bows, do you coat the staves in anything?

A light coating of linseed oil after they're finished.

I like boiled linseed oil, raw makes wood really dark.

Wonder how that would protect against the taxane(?)

* You get a rash from handling the wood, although I don't (*** side
note: do you get sweaty hands when you work?

Afraid so.

Sweat is corrosive, and a fluid, so dry hands would be better... you use
latex gloves and that will make your hands stinky and pruney.

A barrier cream would probably serve you better.

Do you make the bows for the GP or for re-enactors?

For me, but I'm a re-enactor...

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.