Old August 19th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default Glass grinders.

On Aug 19, 2:28*pm, Kris Krieger wrote:
Adrian wrote :

Hi Bill

Bill Browne wrote:
I work in etched glass, not stained. *But I like to work with odd
shapes, so I've considered a glass grinder, and I have a few questions..

I'm curious as to how badly the edge is chipped after its been ground.

Simple answer is 'it varies' g - seems to depend on the type of glass..
Some glass will chip at the edges, some doesn't. Plain, clear,
machine-made float glass is usually OK - the more 'fancy' the glass gets
the more liable it seems to be to get chipped...

What I've found in grinding clear textured glass and colroed glass up to
3/8" is taht you have to be very sure to keep the glass flat on the grinder
table, and apply a smooth, even pressure while grinding.

know the stained glass crowd puts came or foil around the edge, so it
isn't an issue. *But for me, it might be. *Can someone send me a
close-up pic of the edge of a piece of glass after it's been ground so
I can see the finish?

My experience is that, wherever possible, it's best to cut rather than
grind (quicker!). However, when I'm doing foiled work, I always run
round the edge of the cut glass with the grinder, just to take off any
sharp edges that would otherwise damage the foil (or me!)

I'm not a pro, but from all I've heard and read, the reason for the grinding
is to provide "tooth" to improve the adhesion of teh sticky side of the foil
becasue, if the glass is smooth, you lose structural integrity - is that
incorrect?

I took a kiln-worked glass course and the instructor used the diamond-sponges
to finish edges. *The grinder is good for removing larger amounts, but yeah,
you're right, the OP should cut as close as possible to the intended outline
of the item, since that will reduce wear on the grinder head (since it won't
have to be used as much).

[snip]

HTH!

- Kris

Grinding the edge will remove any overhanging shards but does nothing
to help the foil stick. It sticks better to a smooth surface then a
ground one. Foil has no structural integrity. The glue is there just
to hold the foil in place until the solder is applied. Foil is only
to provide a platform for the solder.

If you have access to a wet belt sander, it'll provide a substantially
superior edge then a grinder.