Old February 6th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default old enough to learn?

In article ,
enigma wrote:
snip

my son is 5 & he knits using a knitting frame, one of those
round plastic ones they sell at craft stores. while he does
occaisionally miss a stitch or 4, it doesn't seem to bother
his perfectionist nature & he's made some nice hats. he has
asked for a rectangular frame next, for scarves.

While there's nothing wrong with a rectangular frame and
they do have some special possibilities, he can make a scarf
by going back and forth (instead of around) on the round
frame.

if you do want to start her with needles, try a size between
8 & 10. most of the kid kits i've seen have 15s or 17s, which
are actually really hard for little hands to hold. they might
be ok for 9 & up, but they're too clumsy for a 5 year old.

Right. If they're read to learn at all, they have the fine
finger dexterity. You just have to trust them with the
pointy sticks. And you can get just as uncomfortable a
jab from a thick pointy stick as from a thin one. Actually,
I think I'd suggest a size 6, or even the size that is the
same number as the child's age. Getting them in a color
that goes well with their favorite color of yarn is nice
too. And, of course, light colored yarn so they can see
what they're doing, at least to start with.

=Tamar