Old April 24th 10, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

Default Duck Tape "dress" Form

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:12:54 -0700 (PDT), DogHerder
wrote:

I'm a bit sheepish to ask this question now that I've visited several
of your sites & photo places!

Ah well, here goes: How can I sew a cap or something over the arm &
neck holes and arse opening on an improvised body form so that I can
successfully stuff it with sawdust?

Sawdust is probably a bit too heavy for this... duct tape stretches and deforms
some when stuffed, ime. Nevertheless, consider cutting a couple of cardboard
shapes of the shape of the opening and using those to stop up the opening.
Try to get the corrugations of the cardboard "stoppers" at 90 degrees to each
other for best strength.

You may also want to try Kathleen Fasanella's "saran wrap sloper" method.
Basically you wrap the dog in plastic kitchen wrap, cut the wrap off like
you did your duct tape, and you now have your flat pattern, once you've cut
some slashes that will become darts.

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...aking_method_1
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...aking_method_2

If you're going to do a "duct tape double", the tape that works best,imo, is
the self-stick kraft paper packaging tape. Duct tape stretches, sags in
the heat, and you can't pin into it.

Oh, and I like picturetrail.com for photos.

Sometime I might tell the story of how I came to spend finals week knitting
a sweater for a shaved cat...

Kay