Old April 7th 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

Default Patina verus metal-paint...?

basglas wrote in news:05ca5675-9139-4a1f-a175-
:

On Apr 5, 2:24�pm, Kris Krieger wrote:
Hi, all,

I have tried using Patina on copper-foil pieces, but wasnt' all that
impressed with it. �I do know that metal paint (specifically, Rus

toleum brand
enamels) seem to totally seal the surface AND are just about indestructab

le. �
Tghe "hammered metal" finishes look pretty decent.

Also, there are painting techniques that end up looking very good (and I
started my crafts activities decades ago via painting, so I'm fairly adep

t at
it).

So is there a technical reason why a paint can't be applied over solder?

Especially for items intended to be outdoors? �Or it is merely th

at poeple
generally assume painted solder will look "cheesy"?

Thanks in Advance!

- Kris

Sure. I've used paint over solder and like it. Just clean the solder
well. I use a wire brush to slightly roughen the surface.

Thanks for your reply! I'll go ahead then and try it out on a small test
piece =:-D I'm thinmking of the dark-gray "hammered metal" Rustoleum (I
think they also have black "hammered metal finish", and I know they have a
"pewter"/"silver" one, and so forth).

Thanks again ,

- Kris