Old February 23rd 09, 09:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default Ring resizing?

On Feb 10, 11:09=A0am, stacy c wrote:
I have a ring that I made in a size 7.25 for sale; =A0a buyer who is a
size 9 wants it.

The most I have ever stretched a ring is up to 1 full size, with a
roller stretcher. =A0The stone, which is already set, is very unique, so
this would be my preferred option, but I am afraid that stretching it
almost 2 sizes might be too much for the sterling silver.

Does anyone have any advice on stretching?

Am I going to have to pop the stone out and sleeve some more silver
into the band?

thanks,
-stacy

In general , I like Rio's Third hand. Used it for years.
It is a fibrous "clay" (no asbestos) that you sink the ring in.
It is reusable, just keep it wet. As has been mentioned, silver
conduct heat like no other metal. When you reshanking or sizing,
I have found it's hard to get closer than a 1/4 shank away from a
stone you're protecting with heat sink.
The best service to your customer is to remake ring in proper
size. I have stretched rings to two sizes(yes gold) but,
you must anneal every half size or so. Difficult when protecting
stone from heat.Hope that helps.