Old February 22nd 09, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

Default Ring resizing?

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:38:32 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Bro
wrote:

I agree, yet...
I use powdered asbestos mixed with water. It doesn't pull away from
the silver, in fact it almost bonds with it, and doesn't pull away so
much.
And before everyone jumps all over my sh!t, no, I don't put the
asbestos into a paper sack and huff it.

I used to use a mashed up mess of furnace tape, back when it was asbestos based,
too. Kind of like a sloppy web paper mache mix. Like your mix, it keeps the
silver cool because the water content remains in contact. Easier to place, but
still not quite as good a heat sink as just plain water, simply based on the
total amount of water available to absorb the heat. Does have the advantage of
less spitting and sizzling than just a can of water. My comments on stuff that
doesn't work so well is quite specifically aimed at those paste like
concoctions, some in a jar, some actually in an aerosol can like cheeze wiz.
Easy to apply, easy to drop money on since they get listings in tool catalogs,
but not, overall, very useful. In addition to your asbestos powder or my old
furnace tape mash, people also have used cotton balls, a bunch of sopping tissue
paper, wet sand, or a commercial cotton like but fireproof fiber mat. All of
these can be used to hold a bunch of water in contact with the metal to keep it
cool where needed. All will work so long as the water remains there and in
contact with the metal.

Peter