Old February 14th 09, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
stacy c

Default Ring resizing?

On Feb 13, 9:19 am, Graver wrote:

From looking at the picture you've posted, the bezel surounding the
agate is not holding the stone in place. I can see gaps on the outer
edges which means you could probably soak the ring in a product called
" Atack " and that will release the stone without hurting the agate at
all. Agates are around 71/2 on the hardness scale so you wont hurt the
the polish in any way. This would be the easiest way to approach this
job as anyone not familiar with soldering the ring in wet sand or
water most often overheats the shank and makes more problems then
they'd like.

Mark

Well, the stone is a strange shape (not a flush square; the table is
quite a bit smaller than the bottom), so the bezel is actually holding
the stone in there. I always try to get the stone out after I set it
on purpose to make sure. But I am a new jeweler and always open
to suggestions.

I appreciate everyone's help!

thanks again,
-stacy