Old December 31st 10, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jeri

Default OT ? ebooks, nooks, kindles et al

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I used to have a sign in my office that said, in part, "We have studied
the question and have come up with questions at a higher level."
Me too.
I imagine I would like to have one of those. But there are so many
questions to consider. Such as, if I have a book on mine and want to
share it with my sister, can I?
Will my 'book' communicate with our public library? How in the Sam
Hill do you return a copy when the time's up?
I see that some of them come with ear pod somethings. Why would I need
them to read a book?
Just a personal problem, I expect, but I borrowed one from a friend, a
much older model ( the book, not the friend). I thought it was dim, slow
and heavy.
Are some models easier on old eyes? Are some easier for old brains?
Do you have one and have a ' I wish I could' list? Do you tolerate it
or love it? Polly

I did a bunch of research on the Nook and Kindle when I was debating on
which one to buy.

1. Lending books: Kindle - no, Nook - yes, once per book to one person with
another Nook. Whether you can lend or not depends on the book itself. Some
publishers allow it and some won't.
2. Borrowing books from the library: Kindle - no, Nook - yes, as long as the
books are in ePub format and the library uses OverDrive. From what I've read
the books just stop working when the time is up. Not sure if you can renew
before time is up or not.
3. Both have adjustable font size. Nook also has a choice of 3 different
fonts.
4. Kindle (except for the DX) is lighter weight than the Nook.
5. Both will play MP3 files so you can listen to music or audiobooks.

Here's a good side by side comparison of the Nook and Kindle in all their
different versions.

I ultimately decided on a Nook (3G+WiFi not color). For me it came down to
the fact that I want to be able to borrow books from the library, download
free books from many different sites, and buy books from multiple sources
rather than just from Amazon. I also don't really care about being able to
surf the internet or check email. I have a computer to do that. I also
really like the idea that the Nook has an SD card slot so I'm not limited to
the storage on the device itself and that the battery is user replaceable.
(Beware, if it matters to you, the battery is not user replaceable in the
NookColor. I'll be trading the one DH got me for Christmas for the 3G+WiFi
Nook today. He's a sweetheart but he just refuses to believe that "the
latest and greatest" isn't always the best.) )
~*~
Jeri