Old October 8th 05, 07:09 PM
Ophelia

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

" Christine in Kent, Garden of England"
wrote in message
Yes that's how we say it, and actually we don't put an *extra* "i" in
the
word, we just pronounce all the letters that are there. Aren't all
our
differences what make the world a more interesting place?
Love Christine

Okay I gotta ask this - if I'm understanding you correctly - you say
AL-YOU-MIN-EE-UM??? The word is spelled A-L-U-M-I-N-U-M. As a
Canadian,
I learned to pronounce it A-LOOM-IN-UM. We are also pronouncing all
the
letters that are there, without the EE, which is the non existant "i".
Scratching my head. Can you help me understand? (laugh)

In UK it has never been spelled aluminum. It is and has always been
spelled aluminium. I don't know who spelled it first but that is how it
is here