Old October 8th 05, 06:48 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Anne i cut in mine in half , over a plate , than slowly `unwrap` each
little parcel of red pearls .
The only bad thing is that `Rattus Alexandrinus` , also like the
pommegranades....I don`t mind the birds eating it , They open up one
fruit and politely clean it out.Not so the Rattus, at night you can
see them going up and down the tree, tasting /opening a fruit here ,
running to the next one opening it as well ,,, they can ruin all the
fruits ,,,,,,, it is frustrating.
mirjam
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:11:11 -0400, Anne Tuchscherer
wrote:

I love pomegranates too.

Nigella Lawson (cooking show and cookbook author) has an incredible
recipe for lamb with pomegranates. I haven't made it in quite some
time. Think it's time to order a shoulder of lamb.

Her method for getting the seeds is cutting the fruit in half and then
whacking the non-cut side with a wooden spoon. Takes a few whacks to
get things going, but eventually you get a shower of whole pomegranate
seeds. YUM!!!

Anne (in Ellicott City, MD)

Jaenne Bonner wrote:
"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote

i just had a Big Pommagrande off my tree ,,,, as wel as Yellow Dates
which ripen quickly after several hours in the fridge

Mirjam, just out of curiosity, what does a pomegranate tree look like??
These are one of my favourite things, just appearing in our stores now for
a brief season. When I was a child, they came closer to Christmas, in the
winter, anyway, and I looked forward to them. The beautiful ruby seeds
when you peel away the fragile membrane that covers them are so beautiful.
The whole fruit has so many interesting patterns and textures. Here in
Canada, the juice is becoming more common in the stores, but I think I
will
always prefer the fruit--like opening a treasure.
Dawne

I love pomegranates! The flavor is exquisite! I am first in line when they
are in the stores. I used to do a Christmas vinegar for people every year
with pomegranates. I carefully removed the seeds and dropped them into a
decorative bottle with white wine vinegar and red, green and black
peppercorns. The seeds looked like little jewels in the bottom of the
bottle. Over months, they would slowly change the color of the vinegar to
pink and then crimson. And the flavor came out so good for salad dressings!

As a funny side note, my grandfather threw a fit when he saw me eating
pomegranates. Back on the farm in Missouri, pomegranates were put in the
pig's trough. He thought it was horrfying I would eat anything they would
use as pig slop!

Jaenne