Old November 29th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Default Socks

On Nov 27, 11:17*pm, Juno B wrote:
Katherine wrote:
On Nov 26, 12:58 pm, Juno B wrote:
Hi all,
I'm back to tell you that my friend came over on Monday and got me
started on 4 needle socks. She had taken me shopping for new yarn and
larger needles first. Once she showed me how to get going, everything
fell into place.She said she thought the woman in the yarn shop steered
me wrong on what to buy. She tried using my original yarn and needles
and said she, who is an experienced sock and mitten maker, was having
trouble. When *spring comes and I return to Cape Cod I'll tell the woman
in the yarn shop out there that I was unhappy with her service and as a
result she has lost someone who would have been a frequent and good
customer.I'll do my shopping here at home first and bring my projects
with me when I go to Cape Cod.

Sounds as though you have gotten things sorted out now, Juno.
Good to hear!
Can you tell us what yarn and needles were first recommended and
what ones you ended up using?

Higs,
Katherine

I started out with this yarn:http://www.woolneedlework.com/Yarn/S...c_Colors.shtml
and #2 needles. Now I'm using a worsted weight and # 4 needles. On my
next pair I'll probably try #3 needles.Someday I hope to go back to the
original yarn and see what I can do with bit. I'm getting my knitting
feel back and feel more comfortable with them *every time I pick up my
project to work on it.

I think that yaen and needle combination should have worked just fine.
Maybe your
friend didn't like the self-patterning aspect of it.
The worsted weight will make much heavier socks - the type I would
wear as either
house socks or inside boots in the winter. The other weight I wear in
regular shoes.

Higs,
Katherine