Old June 17th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Séimí mac Liam

Default Eye Surgery question.

"Sterling" wrote in
:

Séimí mac Liam,

Did you have the surgery? If so, has the surgery impacted you ability
to facet or focus work up
close?

I am curious, since I have very very bad eyes and have considered
Lasik or one of the other
procedures (which I know is not the same as cataract surgery but gives
the same results) and I
wanted to know if I will loose my ability to focus up close?
When I am making jewelry, I usually take off my contacts or glasses so
I can see all the fine
details that are missed when I am wearing a corrective lens. I just
wondered if you noticed
anything different? I realize that everyone is different - I just
wanted your input on your
specific experience.

Sterling

"Séimí mac Liam" wrote in message
Have any of you had or do you know someone who has had cataract
surgery? Someone who does close work, preferably a faceter, who has
had a multi- focal interocular lens implant. I'm looking for
feedback to choose which lens before surgery scheduled for May 20th.
Any feed-back you can give will be most helpful.

--
Saint Séimí mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve

Sterling,

What I had was not Lasik. I had interocular lens replacement for
cataracts. Both eyes have been done, now and I see better than I have
ever seen in my life. I was severely myopic before the surgery. To
ensure good near vision, I opted for the fixed focus lenses. I also had
astigmatism in both eyes and got a Toric lense which corrected that as
well. I will still need glasses for distance vision. I pick those up
today. Before surgery I had my best vision out to 6" then everything got
real blurry. Now I see very clearly between 6" and 24-30". I can watch
television on the big screen and if it is High Definition I can see it
OK, but not quite clear. Color perception and contrast are better than I
have had for as long as I can remember. In the center of my vision I
have no haloes, double vision or asterism from lighted objects at night.
The surgery is, to all intents and purposes, painless and takes about
15-30 minutes per eye, with a further hour or so before surgery getting
drops put in your eyes. My recommendation is that if your opthamologist
says you need the surgery, proceed without delay or apprehension. I thank
everyone for their input, especially Dr, Mac.