Old January 11th 11, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Default Flooding rains update - Queensland, Aust.

Watched the videos on the news this a.m. The amount of rain and water is
just unbelievable! My prayers go out to all those who need them.

Alice in Pa
"Bronnie" wrote in message
Well, with incessant rain here for weeks it has now culminated in epic
proportions of flooding. When you asked about me a week ago when the
floods were affecting Rockhampton and places north. I said, no we're
fine here, thats hundreds of kilometres away....but now.....the latest
flooding yesterday is only an hour or so away by car. This latest
town (rural city really of 20,000 people) Toowoomba, is on a high
range and one would never have thought of an 'inland tsunami' type
rage of water flowing through there. It is a continuing tragedy as I
write, 8 dead and 70 or more missing. It is the type of thing that
one hears of in Europe, water suddenly flowing through small valley
towns, but this town is not in a valley.
Brisbane is our large capital city, of 3 million +, downstream of
Toowoomba, and it is looking like some serious flooding over the next
few days. The dam that was built after the bad floods in '74, has
certainly helped mitigating worse floods, however that dam is now 140%
full if that can be possible, and controlled release of floodwaters is
necessary for a safe dam.
Our immediate area on the coast is 'relatively' safe. There might be
low level localising flooding when high tides and rain are concurrent
events. It has been raining for weeks.
I am listening to a tv bulletin as I type, it is an ongoing
crisis.....
Will write again when things are quieter, I feel quite despondent at
present.
Hugs
Bronnie